Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I'm a survivor

Cue the Reba McEntire song. And now cue the tears from me.

This past Saturday was very emotional. The Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure was held in Columbus. The largest in the country. It's crazy to think that there were 30,000 people registered to run/walk in our beautiful city.

I figured the day would be kind of emotional because it was the first time I was participating, and I was one of the "lucky" ones to be in the survivor category. The survivor ceremony was incredible. So many strong women (and men) being honored by so many. There were cheers, hugs, high fives, and so much love and respect.

There were survivors there with signs; 6 year survivor, 1 year survivor, 3 weeks, mine at 2 weeks, and the best sign I saw was 49 year survivor. There is hope out there. There is a cure to be found. I'm thankful every day that even though I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 26 that there is so much of a spot light on this disease and that there are people working diligently to find a cure.

  • Fewer than 5% of all breast cancer diagnosed in the U.S. occur in women under 40 (http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/YoungWomenandBreastCancer.html).
  • Also, most who are diagnosed before 40 face much more aggressive cancers.
I refuse to be a statistic.

Just writing this post I am becoming very emotional. When you're in your twenties and younger, you think you're invincible. Well I'm here to tell you, you're not. Our time on this earth is limited. You never know when it's your time. It could be tomorrow, a year from now, 20 years from now, or it could be 50 years from now. It could be a car accident, a heart attack, a stroke, cancer, or natural causes. There are no guarantees in this life. My breast cancer diagnosis really made me think hard about my life and what is important. Before my diagnosis I'm sure all of my family would tell you that I was an anal retentive person who didn't really know how to relax. My husband would sure tell you that! I got mad over little unimportant things and I would really let things bother me if they weren't done my way or quickly when I asked. I'm sure I was probably a bear to be around when I got in one of those moods. Now I know that it's ok to let dishes sit for a few hours (or days) if it means that I get to spend time outside with Kolton or the dogs. That it's ok to not have a spotless house. That's it's not worth getting upset over someone driving too slow, or not acting like you want them too, or when things aren't going how you planned. It doesn't matter. What does matter is that you spend time with those you love and tell them all the time that you love and cherish your time with them. That you spend your days doing things you enjoy and around people who enjoy your company. Those are the things that matter. The dishes can wait, but blowing bubbles with a 22 month old and seeing how happy it makes him can't.

We're not guaranteed much on this earth. The best we can do is surround ourselves with others who support us, love us, challenge us, and best of make us laugh.

This year has been especially hard and with another surgery just around the corner, it won't get easier any time soon. This blog has been a positive outlet for me and I am also thankful that you take the time to read and let me share this awful, emotional, wonderful, and terrifying journey with you.

Until next time...

AD

1 comment: