Thursday, July 9, 2015

My baby is 2!

I can't believe today is July 9th. This day is very special to me as it's my son's birthday. Two years ago we were awaiting his arrival, planning a baby shower, and buying/moving into our first home. When we do things in our family, we do them BIG. Like moving into our home three days before our son is born!

While neither Colin nor I graduated from Ohio State, it plays a part in our family's story. Colin proposed to me at the front gates of the Shoe in April of 2011 and apparently Kolton knew from the start he would be a big Buckeyes fan. I went on a tour of Ohio State's campus on July 8th and ended up in the hospital that night. I was in labor.

That night was one of the scariest of my life, even scaring than my cancer diagnosis. We knew he would be joining us soon, but this was six weeks early, he wasn't ready to come out yet. He had other plans. From the beginning Kolton has been a stubborn little boy, but he was the easiest going baby I had ever seen. I made it through the night without going into labor, but they finally had to break my water the next morning at 10:00am and at 10:33am on Tuesday, July 9th my baby Kolton John Dennis was born. He was as sweet as could be, but only 4lbs 4oz with underdeveloped lungs. I only got to hold him for about 20 minutes before they had to take him to the NICU. Those 20 minutes were precious.


19 days later, he came home!


Kolton has been my greatest accomplishment. Having a 1 1/2 year old and being diagnosed with cancer isn't something that I planned on doing in my life, but it happened. He was the main reason I never let myself get down in the dumps. He was my focus and he was my joy. Even though I was traveling through hell and back, he gave me something positive to focus on. I felt like crap, but he needed to eat. I was tired, but he needed a diaper changed. I felt like I couldn't do anymore, and he needed to cuddle. He truly lifted my spirits and I thank God for him everyday.

I am so thankful that he was young enough that he won't remember all of this. But his innocence was the exact push I needed during all of this. He didn't care that momma didn't have any hair or that I had gained weight or that I was exhausted. I was still his momma and he knew he could always make me smile.


He's been through a lot in his two short years. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me (sorry Colin).




I love you buddy and happy birthday!

Love,

Momma






No comments:

Post a Comment