Monday, July 20, 2015

Three months out

Next week marks three months since I finished chemo and two months since my double mastectomy. Wow.

Back in December when I started treatments, it felt like April was light years away. And now it's in my rear view mirror. It took so much to get through all those treatments and then this surgery, but I'm positive I came out a better person. No one should have to go through everything I did, but I also know that there are people who have it worse than I did. Yes losing your hair sucks, but I lived. Being nauseous constantly and not wanting to eat or drink because of the awful metallic taste in your mouth sucked, but it passed. And yes, getting stuck all over both arms to get my treatments was terrible, but I didn't have to get a port. I came out of all of this a more caring, passionate, reassured, calm, and understanding person.

I was reminded of all this late last night when I connected, on all places, Facebook with a young mother who is a breast cancer survivor. She too had a toddler while going through treatments and came out on top. Her story resonated with me, so I did what anyone would do to a total stranger, sent her a friend request. Shanna, thank you for not thinking I was a total creep/weirdo for sending you that friend request and message. Thank you for chatting with me from states away. Thank you for sharing with me and reminding me that I don't have to be alone in all of this; that there are other young women who are facing/faced the same struggles and battles I have. But mostly, thank you for connecting me with so many of these beautiful and strong women.

I know I've said this probably 50 times by now, but it's worth saying again. This isn't a club I ever wished to join, but it's great to know there are others who know my struggles and battles. This is a special club made of the most beautiful, strong, and brave women I will ever know and I am glad to be in their company.

Cancer sucks if your 26, 46, or 86. There is no getting around that. I am a huge sports nut and this past weekend was Stuart Scott's 50th birthday, so in honor of someone who faced much harder battles than I have...

"You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."

Until next time...

AD


No comments:

Post a Comment