Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Light at the end of the tunnel

Well yesterday marked my descent over the Round 2 of chemo hill. Only five more treatments to go!

This treatment went much better. The nurse even got the IV started on the first stick, which is unheard of for me. I did find out from the doctor that I may end up with a port though. Apparently the nurses hate having to stick me so many time to start the IV for treatment, that they have asked my doctor to put one in. 11 treatments down with only 5 to go, I thought I was in the clear. Apparently not.

My veins hate me. There I said it. Even with drinking more water than I have ever consumer in one week in my life, it's still hard to get an IV started. So I'm convinced my veins are secretly plotting revenge on me for something I did to them in a past life. Boo on you veins, boo on you!

Unfortunately the ease of this round is starting to fade. The muscle aches and the neuropathy are starting to set in. The muscle aches make it hard for me to fall asleep and stay asleep at night. Thankfully I've only experienced this in my legs, but it can spread over my whole body. And the neuropathy comes and goes in my hands and feet. It is the strangest feeling because mine is in my fingertips or toes. For my hands, it starts at my wrist (kind of like carpal tunnel) and radiates down into my palm and then into my fingers. I feel like my hands were asleep and just woke up to the pins and needles feeling. My feet are the same way, only the sensation starts in the arch of my foot and radiates to my toes. It's funny to watch me walk across the carpet when this is happening because my feet feel itchy!

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, both with chemo and my class (only seven more to go)! Then comes the real fun. I have my surgery date. I'm both nervous and looking forward to end this journey. It's not going to be easy, but none of this has been. The surgery recovery is going to be hard and not pretty at all. I know though, that this is the only way that I will have peace of mind in the end. Knowing that I have done everything in my power to make sure this doesn't happen again, to make sure that I am here for the long haul. My cancer diagnosis wasn't the end of the world for me, it was the beginning of a new one. 2014 and 2015 have been tough and I don't see it getting easier any time soon. So I'm going to grit my teeth and do my best to get through with a smile on my face and hope that 2016 brings better health, luck, love, and happiness.

I mean come on, I have this face to come home to everyday!






Thank you again for all of the love, positive thoughts, and prayers you all have been sending.

Until next time.

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment