Monday, April 20, 2015

One more to go.

Today was treatment number 15 of 16. One more week and I will be DONE with chemo! It's so weird to say that now. Chemotherapy has been part of my "normal" routine since December and in one week it will be part of my past. These past four months have been the toughest journey of my relatively short lifetime. Not only did I have to endure chemo treatments, but IVF treatments as well. Needles mean nothing to me now. I've been sliced, poked and prodded, and injected so many times in the past five months that it doesn't even faze me.

Speaking of the IVF treatments, have I told you lately that I'm having baby fever? It's terrible. I know it will be a while before I am even able to try and have another baby, and that will be another long process itself, but man it's bad. I see so many pregnancy announcements and newborn photos on Facebook and it makes me miss being pregnant. Also, my little man is getting so big and I miss him being my little Squish. I mean seriously, look at how big he is now!


My baby came into this world six weeks early and was only 4lbs 4 oz. He spent 19 days in the NICU. At the time, I thought that was the hardest journey I would take in my life. Boy was I wrong! That was a terrifying experience, especially because there was nothing I could do to help my little guy get better. I can only image that is what my family feels like now, just having to stand by and watch me fight this battle and being helpless because there isn't anything they can do to help me fight. It's an awful feeling, but thankfully I'm a pretty stubborn person (and Kolton is too, he got that from momma and daddy) and I don't lose, so cancer picked the wrong girl!

Oh, and what makes this baby fever even worse... I'm having baby dreams! And Colin hates this, but I'm having baby dreams that we have twins... baby girl twins! I'm pretty sure we would be completely out of money if that happens, because daddy has a hard time saying "no" to a cute pouty Kolton face... it'll be even worse with a girl (especially two girls)!

Throughout this journey I have tried to keep life for my family as normal as possible. And normal for me was continuing my MBA classes. I started last fall and didn't want to take a semester off because I didn't think I would actually start again, and I have come to enjoy the work. I am so happy to share that not only am I done with my classes for the semester (as of last Thursday), but I finished this semester with an 86.6%! I am so incredibly proud of that grade. No, it's not an "A", but I had classes on Mondays and Thursdays from 6pm-9pm. And to top it off, my treatments are on Mondays. Yes, I would have treatments and then go to class for three hours. I know, I know... I'm crazy :-). In my entire 16+ years of education, I haven't ever been more proud of myself and a grade that I received.

Also, in other news, the winner of the Honorary Bat Girl Contest should be announced around Thursday. I found out Friday that I am a finalist for my Indians!!! 

Again, thank you all for letting me share my journey with you. My next post I've decided to do my own Top 10. So stay tuned for my Top 10 Things I'm Looking Forward To After Chemo!

Until next time...

AD

1 comment:

  1. Love you and Ian also incredibly proud of you for SO MANY reasons!!

    ReplyDelete