Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Time has flown by

I can't believe I only have two treatments left. It's crazy to think that I have been going through chemotherapy since December 15th. It seems like yesterday is when I found the lump and started this roller coaster ride. I have learned so much along the way about myself that I am truly thankful for this journey. No one deserves to go through a cancer battle, and that's exactly what it is... a batter. You're battling for your life to be yours again. Cancer is a part of me now, I will never get rid of that title- Cancer Survivor. But ya know what, I am damn proud of that title. I'm a survivor (insert Reba song here). My body has been pushed to it's breaking point and come back strong (a little too strong in the weight area unfortunately, damn steroid). This hasn't been an easy journey, but the end is in sight and then it's on to another long, hard road of surgery and recovery, but I'm ready for it... well as ready as I can be.

This week's treatment was pretty good too. And the best part was...


4 weeks strong of getting the IV started on the first stick! So it looks like no port for me. WOO HOO!!! Forcing myself to drink all that water has really paid off. And yes, those are my new hot pink shoes in the background of the picture :-). If I have breast cancer, I might as well get pink everything!

Also, at the end of treatment on Monday we all had a wonderful visitor in the infusion suite. She is a two year cancer survivor who wanted to pay it forward to all of us who were sitting where she was two years ago. She donated these wonderful chemo bags to all of us filled with treats and comfort items. I am so thankful for those who have traveled this road before and who are paying it forward by helping those of us who have to travel it now. I hope to be able to do that after my journey and hopefully be an inspiration to those who are dealing with their own battles.





I don't know what I am going to do with my Monday's after April 27th. My chemo journey has been a long one (20 weeks total). When the nurses told me back in December that it would be April before I knew it, I thought they were crazy. But time really has flown by and I am so thankful for my doctor and nurses at COHA. They all have made this journey a little better for me each week I am there.

This post is a little sappy, but I'm feeling sentimental right now - I blame the chemo! It's an exciting and draining time of year for me right now. Tomorrow is my last class of the semester and I have my final and a presentation. May 1st is a huge deadline for me at work, and hopefully Capital will make our class and we can celebrate! And my last chemo (hopefully) is April 27th. There is a whole lot going on these next few weeks and I am excited and nervous all at the same time.

Lastly, another plug - ha. I have been nominated for the Honorary Bat Girl for the Cleveland Indians by my husband. Please go to their website and read the stories of women who have or are battling cancer. All of us deserve this honor, but I would be grateful if you voted for me. Go to their website, http://mlb.mlb.com/honorarybatgirl/2015/gallery.jsp and click on the Indians logo at the bottom (the red C). My story is under my name, Alecia, and you can vote more than once. Voting ends tomorrow so I'm hoping to make a final push - even though I know I probably won't win... I also know someone else who has been nominated for this and she has helped me a lot through my journey, so please also read Jess Brady's story (The Brady Bunch).

Until next time...

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment