Tuesday, April 28, 2015

So much to share.

I'm apologizing in advance, this is probably going to be a rather long blog post. I just have so much to share with you all.

This caner journey has been such a long, hard road. It all started in September, and back then I NEVER thought I would make it to the end of April and chemotherapy. It all just seemed so far away, so unattainable. But here I am, seven months later and DONE with chemotherapy. Yes, I said DONE with chemo! WOOO HOOO!!!

I started my chemotherapy journey on Monday, December 15 2014. That seems like ages ago now and it was, 20 weeks is a long time. I've been through 20 weeks and 16 treatments. I've gotten to know my nurses pretty well and it's become a routine. Mondays are going to be a lot different now, man I actually have to go to work ha! I hope all the nurses liked the cupcakes my mom baked and the card I got for all of them. They truly made the difference in my treatment. I was sent off yesterday with so many hugs and congratulations and even some tears of joy. All of them saying that I had to come back and visit. I work at a University that has a pretty well known nursing program and I know a lot of our students who are studying to become nurses. If there is one piece of advice I can share with them, it's that bedside manner really does matter. Mondays were hard for me, it's not something I looked forward to. My treatments, especially in Round 1, were harsh. I left feeling groggy, kind of down, achy, nauseous, and all around not very well. But I always knew that my nurses were going to do everything they could to keep me comfortable and make my experience a little better. Whether it was asking me about my son, starting an IV when someone else had already poked me enough times, or just remembering my name (I mean I was there 16 times). SO to Chris, Jo, Kristin, Lindsay, Denise, Meghan, Susan, and all of the other nurses that I can't remember off the top of my head... Thank you.

It was a big party back in the infusion suite too. My grandma, my mom, dad, stepdad, and brother were all with me. I even got a big (and little) surprise when my husband and little man showed up before I got to ring the bell. Ringing that bell in the infusion suite is a big deal. It signifies that you are done with your last treatment and everyone celebrates! My husband faked me out all day too. We woke up that morning and he got ready for work and left early to go to the dentist. What I didn't know is that he didn't go to work afterward... he's sneaky. He had taken the day off and didn't tell me. So when I had about ten minutes left of my treatment, an entourage came walking back to the infusion suite, led by my husband and little man.


He had picked Kolton up from daycare early so he could be there with me to celebrate. It was a wonderful surprise. As soon as I saw them I started tearing up because I was so happy that they were there to see it all. It was wonderful being able to share that moment with my family and ring that bell. Over the course of my 16 weeks there, I had heard many people ring the bell and I felt like my time was never going to come. Well yesterday it did. And I am so thankful. Kolton even helped me ring the bell (and then realized everyone was watching him and he got super shy).


All in all, it was a great day. I will forever put April 27th on my dates to remember list, along with the date I found the lump (September 13th), the date I got my diagnosis that the tumor was malignant (September 29th), and the day that I started chemotherapy (December 15th). It's been a long, hard road, but I made it out alive.

Yesterday was such a roller coaster ride for my emotions. I was happy that it was my last treatment, but also sad at the same time. I know, I know I'm crazy for being sad that this awful part of my life is done. But it has been such a part of my life for so long now, that it just seems normal. I mean, I'm even starting to get some hair back on my head - now let me tell you, that's weird. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I kind of enjoy the ease of my morning routine with no hair. It's been very refreshing.

And speaking of emotions, yesterday I was reminded that there are wonderful people in the world. With all of the news coverage of riots, police brutality, inequality, and death I saw a glimmer of all that is good about the human race. My family and I celebrated my chemo journey ending with a big linner (it was 3:30, so now quite dinner) at Lindey's in German Village. If you don't know anything about Lindey's, check it out http://www.lindeys.com/, it's delicious.

Well our waitress asked us if we were celebrating anything when we sat down, so of course we told her about just finishing my last chemo treatment. Colin even made a joke about my meal being taken care of! Feather said if it was up to her everything would be taken care of, but that her manager probably wouldn't like that. We went about our business and had a wonderful meal and great service. I had a celebratory glass of wine and some amazing pasta (that I actually just finished for lunch)! Kolton even had a good time. He got two balloons from Feather and LOVED them. He had a blast playing!

We were finishing up our meal and waiting on the check when Feather came and told us that our wish came true, our bill had been taken care of. I was floored. I didn't know what to do or say. Another waitress had paid our bill for us, which was easily at least $300 (it was 8 people)! Emily came over to our table and told me her story and that she had paid our bill. Her family has also been wrecked with cancer. She shared that her grandmother, mother, and brother had all been through this battle before. I am so eternally grateful for Emily and what she did for my family yesterday. It was such a refreshing reminder of the good in people. I still tear up thinking about our conversation and her generous gift. I hope someday to be able to pay it forward to someone else who has traveled this road. I hope to go back to Lindey's and see Feather and Emily again and let them know how much their generosity and kindness affected me and my family.

I told you this would be a long one... still more news to share. I know, right - how could I top those two stories? Well this may not "top" them, but to me it's still pretty exciting... I am the Honorary Batgirl 2015 for the Cleveland Indians. Guys, I won! Thank you to all who voted and shared. I can't believe I won! I am still waiting on details from the Indians, but will be at the Mother's Day game on May 10th. I am so excited and so grateful for yet another wonderful gesture. I'm not sure if anything will be televised, but just in case, tune in to the game and look for me!!!

I think that is all for now. I'll give you a break from my ramblings. Here are just a few more pictures from yesterday.





Until next time...

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment