Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Good day, at least relatively speaking

Yesterday was a good day, relatively speaking. My appointment for treatment was early, so I got out before Noon (which is a rare occasion). Also, I'm going on three weeks in a row of getting the IV started on the first stick!!! WOOO HOOOO!!!!! And I only have three more treatments to go. Did ya hear that, THREE!!! When I started this chemo journey back in December, I thought it was never going to end and now I'm almost done. In three weeks (April 27th) I get to ring the bell and leave this part of my life behind. Unfortunately, my journey is not even close to being over. From what I've been told I'm in the easy part right now, the surgery is where it gets difficult.

I'm pretty proud of myself though and I think I should be. I've tried my hardest to not let cancer affect me and I think I've succeeded for the most part. There are days where I just feel run down and horrible, but thankfully those days are just really starting to catch up to me again. My treatment plan is 20 weeks, and ya know what, I've made it through 16 of those weeks still standing, not needing a port, and living life to the fullest (as much as I can anyway). Yes I've lost my hair, my eyelashes, my eyebrows, gained weight from the stupid steroid, and never been so tired in my entire life (not even pregnancy, which is saying a lot).

I get choked up when I start thinking about my last treatment. It's not like I am going to miss going in every Monday to get treatment, but I am going to miss the people. The nurses that I've had throughout all of this have been fabulous. They get to know you (but after 16 visits, who wouldn't) and always try to make everything as easy as they possibly can. I will be forever grateful for the nurses I've had at COHA. Oncology nurses truly are the best around because they see how taxing treatments can be, but they also get to see the difference it can make. I am always encouraged when my nurse comes out to the waiting room to get me, mainly because they know who I am now and always have a smile on their face because they know that my day is probably going to be a lot harder than theirs while I'm there. The countdown is on though... 3 more weeks! And I cannot wait.

On a different note, my Timehop reminded me today that four years ago yesterday, I got engaged.


I never would have guessed in three years of marriage that we would be going through all of this. Buying a house, having a baby two days after moving into aforementioned house, graduating college, working, and now cancer. Never in a million years would I have guessed that all of this would happen to two people so young. My husband told me that there was a reason I have cancer and he doesn't, and it's because I can handle it (he would be a big baby). This isn't a journey that I wished to have taken, but I do believe it has made our marriage stronger and each of us a little stronger for going through this so young. I am one hell of a fighter and I'm not giving up any time soon.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those with matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess
Until next time...

AD

No comments:

Post a Comment