Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Post-first treatment

Well I survived. The worst part of the whole experience that first day was getting poked three times with a needle trying to start my IV. That was an awful experience, and I felt bad for the nurse too. I could see she wasn't exactly enjoying making me cry while digging around in my hand and then my forearm trying to find a vein.

The treatment itself wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. The first thing they gave me was a mix of a steroid and anti nausea medication, which I was thankful for! Next came lots of saline. And then came the fun chemo drug. This is the one that causes mouth sores, so they had me suck on lots of ice cubes to try and help inhibit them from even starting. This med was interesting because it looked like the cough syrup that we give Kolton, bright red and goopy. Now the second chemo drug was a the "fun" one. This is one that had to be given over the course of an hour and gave me a really funny feeling, like having chlorine up my nose. Fun times in the infusion room!

Day one was pretty good, I was just exhausted. Which I guess is to be expected, I took a short nap in the afternoon, and then ended up going to bed at 8:30 PM because I was still so tired. I slept until 6:30 AM. Talk about one long night of sleeping!

Day two started off pretty good. My mom made sure I had my anti nausea meds early so that hopefully I would feel good going forward. Lots of cat naps in my recliner and waiting around to go get my shot at the doctor's office. The doctor's office was hopping when I went for my shot. There was even a therapy dog there with one of the patients. Kolton had a blast petting the dog and it eased a lot of the stress I was feeling! The shot itself only took about two minutes and felt like a bee sting. The side effects of the shot were much worse. I felt achey in my legs and knees and felt exhausted. So again, I took a nap.

I've come to realize that I am going to be tired for the entirety of this treatment. So long as I can take a nap or two, I think I'll be okay!

Today is my first day back at work and it's been an interesting hour thus far. Hopefully a nap during lunch will help with everything!

One treatment down. 15 more to go!

Until next time...



AD

No comments:

Post a Comment